Please check out the English help page (or the German Hilfe) first before posting.

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] TRIAL: How to block cookie-banners  

RSS

Famed Member
23/10/2020 7:32 pm  

I thought I'd share my current trial with the community as you might have the same issue:

I'm super unhappy with all these consent- and cookie-banners everywhere.

Even eBlocker blocks all the bad guys like trackers, ads and unwanted stuff anyhow, I need to confirm this "nonsense" on each website individually. I rather want to visit the sites with no banners at all and have eBlocker taking care of the rest.

Since a few days I'm testing a new list in my eBlocker: https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/easylist-cookie.txt

It's simple to add in eBlocker: settings>blocker>ad blocker - then click ADD and configure like shown in screenshot attached.

So far it shows the approach works pretty well, although some banners (especially first party banners) can not be blocked (of course). They need to be hidden. There is a feature request for this already.

If you feel the "element hiding" feature is valuable for you, please up-vote the feature request - and we'll try to make it happen in the near future.

Thanks much.

02/11/2020 8:47 am  

@Benne

i have tested the Easylist-cookie list for a while now.

Most of the times it is ok, but i found some severe problems.

For example embedded videos are not shown on some sites (e.g. 9gag.com), once i could not scroll on the business-insider site, because a hidden dialog was essential for the site to work correctly.

After the findings i cleared the browser history and cache for testing and it got worse...

So i have found that the list has more impact than expected, unfortunately.

ReplyQuote
Famed Member
02/11/2020 10:47 pm  

@kalle I just checked 9gag.com: no problem. Also businessinsider.de = no problem. I can access videos, links etc. but have no banners/ads etc. (so it‘s working pretty well).

My environment: eOS 2.5.6 on Raspi 4 - incl all eBlocker provided lists plus the Consent-Blocker as discussed above. Tests done on iOS 13.7 with Safari. No other blocking tools

I wonder why you have a different experience?! 

Maybe it helps to reproduce if you name the tested domains fully and share a screenshot of issue. Also please name your tech environment and especially if you have other blockers/plugins in use.

BTW: to have a controlled environment I‘d suggest to use browser private mode (to avoid effects from previous sessions (cache, cookies, etags etc.) when consent blocker was not in place).

Posted by: @kalle

i cleared the browser history and cache for testing and it got worse...

What does „got worse“ mean precisely

Random liked
ReplyQuote
03/11/2020 6:42 am  

@benne

Good morning Benne,

my environment is nearly the same like yours, except I am on IOS 14.2 Beta and MacOS 11.0.1 Beta.

I have reinstalled the cookie list and checked some sites again.

My fault, it was not 9Gag but webfail.de.

The first screenshot post to choose - IMG_0658.PNG 

the second screenshot, with list enabled - IMG_0659.PNG

the third screenshot, list disabled - IMG_0660.PNG

When i say something getting worse:

some sites need a stored cookie to function properly, e.g. spiegel.de. When you delete browser history and cache, these informations are lost and you cannot access the site, or have misfunctions.

Spiegel.de after a clean start see last picture.

ReplyQuote
Famed Member
03/11/2020 7:56 am  

My fault, it was not 9Gag but webfail.de.

Ok. Great! And what about businessinsider.de you had named also? 

But still: whats the exact problem you are experiencing with webfail? I‘ve just visited the site and to me it just works fine.

Spiegel.de after a clean start see last picture.

Yes, that‘s known. You can easily fix it by disabling Consent Blocker, click accept, reenable. Done. Here we have an idea of „cookie surrogates“ to fix this. But this needs some more investigation... (analysis always comes first - then implementation)

The reason I am after a precise description of the issue: if we don‘t know where and how and what issue occurs, we can not investigate whether we can fix it in a future eBlocker version.

i found some severe problems

Your wording sounds very alarming to me: 99% of sites are not working (=severe). 

Now I have the impression: 1% (or far less) of sites are not working / banners are still shown (=no problem at all).

Maybe it’s a matter of expectation? There is no 100% security (in the world) and even less is to expect from an experimental trial!

I‘ve shared this „how to“ as it‘s experimental, but I‘m super happy with it - as it solves my Cookie-Banner problem on 99%+ sites. Again, I‘m eager to find out where it‘s not working and how to fix this last <1%. 

Any detailed help is highly appreciated, but please understand that „global bashing“ (as your wording above) is not helpful to find the cause. And it gets even worse if you are mixed up with the websites you are naming...

Thanks much for your support!

Random liked
ReplyQuote
03/11/2020 8:02 am  

@benne THX! I‘m 100% with you.

It‘s impossible to help if named domains are incorrect, things are rated „severe“ and „get worse“ - but at the end there is no severeness at all - but lot‘s of confusion with the readers left for no reason.

I appreciate your post very much and hope we now get some qualified infos to work on...

I‘ve now installed the cookie blocker list as well and will report appropriately if I find issues. 

THX!

Benne liked
ReplyQuote
03/11/2020 10:05 am  
Posted by: @benne

But still: whats the exact problem you are experiencing with webfail? I‘ve just visited the site and to me it just works fine.

Any detailed help is highly appreciated, but please understand that „global bashing“ (as your wording above) is not helpful to find the cause.

@Benne, just for your info: the site works, but if you navigate to a post with a video, this will not be shown (IMG_0659.PNG)

My post was not meant as global bashing, i just wanted to name some problems when using the cookie list.

In the past i have found similar effects, when using this list with another network-wide solution, i do think this list works fine with a browser extention, but is not perfect for eblocker.

@random "no severeness at all" may be technically correct and "for no reason" is relative...

Maybe you know: "happy wife, happy life".

I have to "justify" any change in our family network if something seems not to work.

Therefore even some unimportant things may become severe... 😉

Without this cookie list nearly everything works smooth and fine.

Kalle

ReplyQuote
03/11/2020 10:54 am  

@kalle Maybe you should tell your family about the "Pause" button!

In case they are "unhappy", they can simply hit "pause" (in dashboard or controlbar): Happiness will immediately return for the particular user - without interfering with the protection of other users.

Nevertheless: If you feel like contributing, we really appreciate your input. But please be very clear how to reproduce - otherwise we can not improve.

THX!

Benne liked
ReplyQuote
Famed Member
05/11/2020 9:21 am  

And what about businessinsider.de you had named also? 

@kalle As @random said: we really appreciate your input and want to improve. Unfortunately the above question to you is still open - so we can do so...

i do think this list works fine with a browser extention,

Again, rather than spreading assumptions we‘d love to hear the facts. Which browser plugin are you referring to? Please also name a site that‘s not working with eBlocker but with the plugin.

Personally, I highly doubt there is any difference besides the already discussed fact, that ublock/adblock+ do element hiding, which can be implemented in eBlocker as well (see my post!). Regarding site functionality and your „severe“ issues with site‘s functionality it shouldn‘t make any difference with eBlocker or a plugin.

Again, I‘m eager to learn the facts rather than speculations which unfortunately don‘t help anyone.

Thanks much.

ReplyQuote
05/11/2020 9:34 am  

And what about businessinsider.de you had named also? 

@kalle As @random said: we really appreciate your input and want to improve. Unfortunately the above question to you is still open - so we can verify it...

Good morning,

unfortunately it is not possible to show a site that does not allow scrolling by a screenshot. 😉

Nevertheless i have tested again.

On Business Insider the Dialog Box (see screenshot) was hidden when using the cookie list, but the site waits for confirmation of it.

Therefore scrolling or navigating was not possible.

It is not the only site where this happens, although i do not recall them all.

So after pausing eblocker and relloading the site, the dialog came upan could be answered.

Does this answer your question?

Kalle

ReplyQuote
05/11/2020 9:18 pm  

although i do not recall them all

@kalle When memory comes back. Please post „them all“...

businessinsider.de scrolling works fine on iPad/Safari. I have no macOS and can‘t reproduce.

Seems pretty hard to find all these sites you neither „can’t recall“ with the your mentioned „severe“ problems „getting worse“... Maybe your „unhappy“ wife can help? We still love to know so we can verify and improve!

Please also name a site that‘s not working with eBlocker but with the plugin.

@kalle Still open. Facts please! No fake news! 

@benne To me this trial works very well too. Pretty much all cookie banners gone. No „severe“ problems at all. Good job!! 😎 🤩 😀 

THX!

ReplyQuote
Scroll to Top